Friday, February 6, 2009

Economic Stimulus

Time for full disclosure... I am NOT an economist! Actually I don't believe I know anyone in that line of work either. Having said that, I am also not stupid. I understand that people spend money when they:
1. have a disposable income (more than it takes to pay the required bills like housing, heat, gas, water, food) and
2. when they feel reasonably sure that they will continue to have enough income to pay the bills and still have some money to play with.

I keep reading about how Republicans want more tax cuts and how Democrats want more spending in the economic stimulus. While we all know that a Frisbee golf course is clearly pork not everyone understands why it is that tax cuts are important. Also...no one is spelling it out for the American public. Mitt Romney has a great piece on CNN and at the top of his "how to fix it" list is to cut taxes. Commentary: Stimulate the economy, not government But he doesn't really spell out WHY. Conservatives have to be better at explaining things, without speaking down to people, so they understand what we have already figured out.

We don't need the government to create enough jobs for those of us who are suddenly without one. I have been working for more than 20 years and never once have I worked for the federal government. I bet most people have not either. We don't need government to do this for us, we just need them to not impede our ability to create jobs so people have a way to earn a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment